This project entailed renovating an underutilized, unfinished walk out basement to include a new living room, exercise room, full bath, laundry room and a play room for the growing family. The primary goals of the project were to increase the amount of living space in the home as well as improve the comfort and energy efficiency of the new lower level living area. Important aspects of the project included:
- Material selection of recycled and salvaged or FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood
- Providing a healthy space and to help mitigate any potential below grade moisture problems
- Expanding foam insulation for thermal, air sealing qualities,
- A paperless drywall board was used to reduce the potential for mold growth.
- Sub floor panels used to raise the floor off of the cold concrete surface to increase comfort
- All finishes were made with low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).